Horsemen of Judgment Keep
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horsemen of Judgment Keep

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Land of the Dead

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jayde
Warlord
Jayde

Land of the Dead Empty
PostSubject: Land of the Dead   Land of the Dead EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Nearly 40 years ago, in 1968, George A. Romero created a classic horror film about the walking dead among us. Now all these years later he has given us Night of the Living Dead. (For you Ramero nuts, yes I know he also did sequels Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985).)
Romero's ongoing zombie story staggers into a new century, humans have been all but driven off the planet. Enclaves still exist, but they're small and scattered. Zombies shuffle their way through the countryside and in the deserted towns, searching—usually vainly—for fresh flesh. But the people of Pittsburgh are too smart for them. They've walled themselves into one section of the city where they've hunkered down for the long haul.

The story line sounds great and to be honest, the movie isn't bad. In fact I enjoyed 90% of it. I would have really enjoyed it if not for one thing. Land of the Dead's zombies are one shuffling step away from lawyering up and filing civil suit against the city of Pittsburgh for discriminating against them. They think. They feel. They care about their "friends." That right the zombies in the movie show human emotions and problem solving abilities. Yes friends, these are problem solving zombies. Now, this does make for a chilling effect that helps overcome some of the cheesy walking scenes that look like outtakes from the "Thriller" music video. However, the lead zombie, a big black guy, who apparently once worked at a gas station begins to learn and even teach other zombies. (Apparently in the after life those people with names on their shirts will surpass those scientists who become zombies...laughing my ass off Bill Gates...when I become a zombie, your ass is mine). Not only does he start teaching other zombies, but he begins to take on a fatherly role as he demonstrates in one scene where he shows a young girl how to fire an M-16. Nothing says family like killing and eating flesh together. This show of affection from the undead gas pumper keeps going as at one point he actually screams in angusih as some of his fellow zombies are killed. This was just a bit to far away from the norm for me. Romero just didn't sell me on the idea. Perhaps after years of watching mindless zombies I would have been ok with problem solving zombies. But zombies who need therapists and want to cry on each others shoulders....no thanks.

FINAL REVIEW: Definately worth a video rental. Go see the early show on the big screen and save a couple of bucks.
Back to top Go down
http://hojk.squarespace.com

Land of the Dead
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Horsemen of Judgment Keep :: Musings :: Alexander - He talks a lot-
Jump to: