Horsemen of Judgment Keep
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Horsemen of Judgment Keep

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 12th night pie recipe as requested......

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tahira
Horsemen
Tahira

The 12th night pie recipe as requested...... Empty
PostSubject: The 12th night pie recipe as requested......   The 12th night pie recipe as requested...... EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bake Mete Ryalle

PERIOD: England, 15th century | SOURCE: Harleian MS 279 | CLASS: Authentic

DESCRIPTION: Pork & chicken pies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL RECEIPT:

.xxxiij. A bake Mete Ryalle. Take and make litel cofyns, & take Chykonys y-soþe; oþer Porke y-soþe; oþer hem boþe: take Clowys, Maces, Quybibes, & hakke with-alle, & melle yt with cromyd marow, & lay on Sugre y-now; þan ley it on þe cofynne, & in þe myddel lay a gobet of marrow, & Sugre round a-bowte y-now, and lat bake; & þis is for soperys.

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279 & Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, & Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner & Co., 1888.

GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:

A Royal Pie. Take and make little pie shells, & take Chicken boiled; or Pork boiled; or them both: take Cloves, Mace, Cubeb, & hack all together, & mix it with crumbled marrow, & add just the right amount of Sugar; then place it a pie shell, & in the middle place a piece of marrow, & all over some Sugar, and let it bake; & this is for a supper.

INGREDIENTS:

1 or 2 nine-inch pie shells
Boiled chicken, diced
Boiled pork, diced
Cloves (powder)
Mace
Cubeb
Marrow, diced or crumbled
Sugar
Marrow, one spoonful of diced or 1 med. sized chunk
DIRECTIONS:
For this recipe use either pork or chicken, or a combination of both. Combine meat with spices and diced marrow; add sugar to taste. Place this mixture in the pie shell(s). Place the additional marrow on the top middle then sprinkle sugar over the entire pie. Bake until crust is golden and the top has browned. Serve for an evening meal.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lady_tahira
Tahira
Horsemen
Tahira

The 12th night pie recipe as requested...... Empty
PostSubject: however.......   The 12th night pie recipe as requested...... EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 am

Since I was cooking for Horsemen and not for competition I substituted bacon in for the pork and took out the marrow. I also used allspice and black pepper for the Cubeb, which is very similar in taste and I didnt have to go track down Cubeb! Just make sure you add a little of the bacon fat (or butter or lard) in that you would have gotten from the marrow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lady_tahira

The 12th night pie recipe as requested......
Page 1 of 1